Mobile Trial 1

Thursday 19 October 2017

Can or Can able? - Return or Return back? - Which one should you use?

Are you someone who often uses the phrase, 'can able' in your sentences? Eg: I can able to do this. I can able to speak in English fluently. I can able to understand this.
Or, are you someone who uses the phrase, 'return back'? Eg: I will return back to India tomorrow. I will return back your book later.

If you are someone who often uses 'can able' and 'return back' while talking, it is time for you to stop talking and start learning English. Why? Both the phrases, 'can able' and 'return back' are wrong as they give redundant meanings. The following explanation will make you better understand why these phrases should not be used.

Can or Can Able?

This is one of the common mistakes in English, that almost many people make. Both the words, can and able mean an ability to do something. Many people know that these two words mean the same to an extent. But, not many people realize that they are supposed to use just one of these words while talking or writing. Instead, they use both the words together which results in redundancy and grammatically incorrect sentences.

Wrong sentence: 
I can able to do this.

Correct sentences:  
I can do this. (or)
I am able to do this.



Return or Return Back?

This is also one of the common mistakes in English that people make when they speak. Most competitive English exams will have a question based on return and back. 'Return back' is also similar to 'can able', which is grammatically incorrect.

Wrong sentences:
I will return back your book on Monday.
I will return back to India next month.

Correct sentences:  
I will return your book on Monday. (or) I will give back your book on Monday.
I will return to India next month  (or) I will come back to India next month.


Note: While there are many other mistakes that people commonly make in English, 'can able' and 'return back' are mistakes that almost every learner of the English language makes in the beginning.
Feel free to post your comments about any queries that you might possess regarding English. I will be more than glad to write a post regarding that topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment